Corporate & Commercial
The Security and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) is the regulator of company law in Pakistan established by the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan Act 1997. We also regularly advise our clients from time to time in respect of the enactment of new legislation in the field of company law, including, but not limited to, the Companies Act, 2017, and the, Securities Act, 2015, which have far reaching implications in all corporate legal advisory matters.
- Negotiations and Pre-Transaction Agreements
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As)
- Legal Due Diligence (Buy-Side or Sell-Side)
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Transactions
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Regulatory Compliance
- Shareholders’ Agreements, Joint Venture Transactions
- Winding up and Liquidation
- Corporate Governance & restructuring
- Registration of corporate entities with the SECP.
- NTN registration advice and assistance.
- Taxation and anti-trust issues.
- Banking and financing transactions.
- Syndicated loans and revolving credit facilities.
- Project financing and mergers and acquisitions.
- Incorporation of private, public and listed companies.
- Public floatation, listing of securities and tender offers for listed securities.
- Joint venture agreements and commercial and partnership contracts and agreements.
- Business sales and purchases, mergers, acquisitions and amalgamations.
- Debt financing and debt and equity securities offerings for issuers and underwriters.
- Secured financing transactions and reorganizations and restructurings.
- Asset securitization and structured finance and financial institutions regulation.
- Shareholder agreements, employee ownership and management buyouts.
Our corporate lawyers are recognised for their legal skills and the ability to navigate complex corporate matters with diligence. Due to our lawyers having an attentive and proactive approach to our clients’ business needs, we are regularly engaged by a diverse client base, from start-ups to multinationals, family-run businesses through to non-profit organisations, and our counsel is sought on a range of company law matters, as well as representing clients in negotiations on the proposed deal and transaction documents before the other party to achieve the best possible outcome.
Our corporate advisory, building on extensive local and international experience, encompasses a broad range of areas, including:
- raising financing (through equity and/or debt)
- shareholders’ agreements and dispute resolution
- directors’ duties and liabilities
- SECP and other regulatory compliance
- corporate governance issues and compliance
- board policies and boardroom dispute
- C-suite service contracts
We complement our specialist legal expertise with a client-centric approach, ensuring exceptional client service and value. In addition, we have established a suite of training programmes and seminars to keep our clients up-to-date with latest developments in regulatory regime as well as enhancing the understanding of our clients in fundamental business law principles.
Our team, bringing together skills from a variety of legal disciplines, is highly proficient in providing comprehensive legal services across a range of key industries to family-owned and controlled businesses. Our multidisciplinary and meticulous approach ensures that we develop a formidable understanding of your business and the objectives of your family before providing clear, intelligent and pragmatic advice to manage and safeguard your assets and support the long-term future for your business and family.
Our expertise and services for family-owned businesses of all sizes across a range of sectors include:
- Business Succession Planning
- Family and Business Governance Agreements
- Business Structuring / Restructuring
- Shareholder and Constitutional Arrangements
- Family Dispute Management and Resolution
- Shariah-compliant Wills and Inheritance Planning
We engage with our clients to strategise in a timely manner and review the plan regularly.
Our results-oriented team is focused on making transactions fast, smooth, and cost-efficient. Our transaction focus in the M&AS practice area is predominantly private company mergers and acquisitions involving complex structure and unique considerations, although we also routinely advise on business restructuring and reorganisation. Our goal is to deliver exceptional value throughout each phase of the transaction from diligence, structuring, and negotiation through execution and closing, providing seamless service to achieve our clients’ commercial objectives.
Our service in this area includes, but is not limited to:
- Deal Negotiations;
- Letter of Intent / Head of Terms;
- Due Diligence;
- Key Documents Preparation;
- Regulatory Compliance;
- Post-completion formalities.
Our corporate lawyers, with strong support from other practice areas and a network of specialist consultants, also regularly advise on the incorporation and structuring of joint venture arrangements between corporate entities and institutional investors, including SPV formation, funding, commercial terms, tax implications, termination and dispute management.
We represent and advise start-up and early stage companies across diverse sectors, and work with these companies from formation through to their development, growth and expansion stages. Working closely with these emerging companies, we advise on a broad spectrum of matters including selecting a business structure, assisting with their financing needs, whether debt or equity, and subsequent exit strategy and investment realization. Whatever the needs of a startup and early stage companies are, we have the capabilities and practical experience to provide the legal services essential to their success.